9 September 2009

Broader Media Culture

07/09/09
Monday’s lesson consisted of looking deeper into aspects of genre in order to make decisions in applying subversions to each of our production pieces.

It became apparent that “stylistic conventions” such as cinematography, lighting and narrative can all effect the subversions of common conventions typically associated with different mediums.

After watching a programme on the rules of film noir I was inspired in many different ways as well as being educated into the different types of conventions which are seen within this film genre. Matthew Sweet gives us an overview into the typical
conventions, “the male gaze” the male view of a character through the camera, usually focuses on the legs upwards.

The programme also showed me that ones narrative should reflect the social/historical context of the present, as well as showing that a broader media culture is influenced by literary texts.

During the production of my medium I must take into consideration what is influencing my work, the answer leading me to the social/historical aspects of the present.

Further into the lesson I came to the idea of a basic plot line for my film in which I will be creating a promotional trailer for. Which lead me on to storyboarding and realising that I needed more inspiration therefore more research was necessary.